As the days get longer and the weather gets nicer, many people, young and old will be enjoying these Buffalo summer days on their bikes. Here are a few safety reminders to help everyone stay safe and healthy this summer:
- Always wear a helmet! The states that children under 14 MUST wear a helmet, however it is recommended that everyone wear a helmet when riding a bicycle. Set a good example for our younger riders!
- Ride on the right side of the street WITH traffic. (You only want to go against traffic if you are walking so that you can see the oncoming cars and they can see you easier!)
- Obey ALL traffic signs, lights and laws when riding.
- Your bicycle is your vehicle and you should use hand signals to let other vehicles and cyclists where you are going. Check out the link below for hand signals
- When riding at night make sure you are wearing light colored and/or reflective clothing. Safety lights are also a good idea.
- For longer rides make sure you have a full water bottle(s) or a hydration pack to stay hydrated.
- If you are off on a long adventure or trip, pack or make an energy-filled snack.
Stay safe and have a great ride!